Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Random Acts of Kindness Week!

It's random acts of kindness week this week (13th Feb - 19th Feb), I would have posted about it yesterday but it may surprise you to know that occasionally I do have other things to do! Quite why they chose the week of Valentine's Day I don't know but hey... Check out this months issue (March 2006) of Marie Claire for an amusing article by a journalist trying R.A.K.W. out in London. (Also several decent strong women bouncing back stories, I quite enjoyed reading it for a change on the long train journey back from my London interview. Usually I just turn page after page after page sighing with boredom. And it reminded me that I want to do some voluntary work over the summer... I need to look into that!)

Some ideas I 'borrowed' from Marie Claire for your random act of kindness:
  1. Buy a coffee for someone behind you in the queue
  2. Say 'hello' to a stranger
  3. Take goodies to workmen
  4. Donate to homeless shelter
  5. Buy a friend flowers
  6. Collect litter in the park
  7. Pay everyone you meet a compliment
  8. Help someone with their bags
There is actually a Random Acts of Kindness Foundation, no really hit the link. And the previously always in the media Join-Me 'collective' is still running its' one random act of kindness every friday (yes the Join-Me from the books).

It's true that one thing you say or do can make or break someone's day (so if you can't be kind at least don't be mean).

No comments: